BoroNerds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BoroNerds

For those of the Edinboro University Anime Club and Gamer's Guild.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fun tournament formats?

Go down 
+5
Supernova
Reydan
Dantés
YoungTim
Thekk
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Thekk

Thekk

Fun tournament formats? Empty
PostSubject: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 am

Well, as you all know, Andrew and I recently hosted a Peasant tournament at ze Gamer's Guild.

I feel the tournament was successful (aside from organizational/scoring issues, our bad Embarassed ), but I am a devious mastermind who loves the fun. So, for next semester, I want to try and pull off a fun/theme tournament maybe every two weeks?

But! There being 15 weeks in the semester, I would need around 7 different kind of tournaments! This is where you fabulous peeps come along.

What kind of tournaments would you like to see held?

Ideas:
Creature Feature (all creatures and lands)
Peasant (no rares, 5 uncommons, rest commons, $2 cap)
Back to top Go down
YoungTim

YoungTim

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:41 am

i really don't agree with the 2 dollar cap rule, but i suppose it keeps it a bit more casual
Back to top Go down
Dantés

Dantés

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:58 am

More standard tournaments would be cool. Yeah, Gold Star does standard, but Jerry doesn't put entry fees into prize support. I'm not going to get into drama with that, but I will say that if people can make the inital sacrifice to lose money on their first few tournaments' prizes, you'll get so much more money back from all of the players who see good prizes. That said, standard tournaments would call for a $5 entry instead of $1.

Side note, $2-$3 entry for tournaments seems more fair to those who organize tournaments and those who participate. I think more people would compete.

Modern tournaments would be neat. It's less popular now, but the format offers a casual feel that leaves competition open-ended.
Back to top Go down
Reydan

Reydan

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 am

Honestly Tim, there aren't a lot of Uncommons or Commons that people around here have that are more than 2 dollars. Even Hymn to Tourach, Counterspell, Brainstorm, Terminate, Blightning, and lightning bolt are all under 2 bucks.

Two Headed Giant
EDH
Peasent EDH
Peasant 2 Headed Giant
Theme fights (Humans vs. Zombies/Vampires/Werewolves, Mirrodin vs. Phyrexia)
Back to top Go down
Supernova

Supernova

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 2:24 am

How about a Planechase tournament?
Back to top Go down
jmccabe2

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 2:37 am

2 headed giant torne would be fantastic
Back to top Go down
Reydan

Reydan

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 am

You would neeed need neeeed to make sure that you follow the OFFICIAL 2HG rules for that though, or it could get messy quick (No more than 4 copies of any 1 card between both decks, etc)
Back to top Go down
Dantés

Dantés

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:27 am

Supernova wrote:
How about a Planechase tournament?

This. All of it.
Back to top Go down
jmccabe2

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Dantés wrote:

Modern tournaments would be neat. It's less popular now, but the format offers a casual feel that leaves competition open-ended.
modern would be won by the same few ppl everytime so that one would not be as fun unless we put like a $15 limit per card thus restricting actual modern players soo it wouldnt be as fun for them
Back to top Go down
Dantés

Dantés

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 3:30 pm

jmccabe2 wrote:
Dantés wrote:
modern would be won by the same few ppl everytime so that one would not be as fun unless we put like a $15 limit per card thus restricting actual modern players soo it wouldnt be as fun for them

It's really not that likely. Not many people have Modern decks, which includes the legacy players. I think Andrew is the only person I know that has one. Realize how many sets have been released from Core Set 8 to now.

-Set 8
-Mirrodin
-Darksteel
-Fifth Dawn
-Champions of Kamigawa
-Betrayers of Kamigawa
-Saviors of Kamigawa
-Core Set 9
-Ravnica: City of Guilds
-Guildpact
-Dissension
-Time Spiral
-Planar Chaos
-Future Sight
-Core Set 10
-Lorwyn
-Morningtide
-Shadowmoor
-Eventide
-Shards of Alara
-Conflux
-Alara Reborn
-M10
-Zendikar
-Worldwake
-Rize of the Eldrazi
-M11
-Scars of Mirrodin
-Mirrodin Besieged
-New Phyrexia
-M12
-Innistrad

The area around Edinboro isn't as competitive as, for example, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Honolulu, etc. It's harder to ruin Modern due to the fact that the card pool is so big, but doesn't contain old cards that break the game.
Back to top Go down
rwobsession

rwobsession

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 5:59 pm

I like the ideas of 2HG, Peasant, and Modern. I also like the idea of another EDH tourney like the one Rob Arnold put on. So, here's another suggestion... why not pauper? only commons!
Back to top Go down
H07HawK

H07HawK

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Dantés wrote:
jmccabe2 wrote:
Dantés wrote:

It's really not that likely. Not many people have Modern decks, which includes the legacy players. I think Andrew is the only person I know that has one. Realize how many sets have been released from Core Set 8 to now.

-Set 8
-Mirrodin
-Darksteel
-Fifth Dawn
-Champions of Kamigawa
-Betrayers of Kamigawa
-Saviors of Kamigawa
-Core Set 9
-Ravnica: City of Guilds
-Guildpact
-Dissension
-Time Spiral
-Planar Chaos
-Future Sight
-Core Set 10
-Lorwyn
-Morningtide
-Shadowmoor
-Eventide
-Shards of Alara
-Conflux
-Alara Reborn
-M10
-Zendikar
-Worldwake
-Rize of the Eldrazi
-M11
-Scars of Mirrodin
-Mirrodin Besieged
-New Phyrexia
-M12
-Innistrad

The area around Edinboro isn't as competitive as, for example, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Honolulu, etc. It's harder to ruin Modern due to the fact that the card pool is so big, but doesn't contain old cards that break the game.

Vince has seen my Modern deck, it is indeed a competitive deck and in it's entirety costs less than $15. We've considered porting it to Legacy too lol.

That being said I would support a true pauper tournament - no uncommons at all, but no price limit. We had also discussed a jank rare tournament, where every card besides basic lands has to be a rare, but has to be under $2. I think that would honestly be more of a challenge than pauper or peasant.
Back to top Go down
Reydan

Reydan

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 am

Andrew, I want to do that Jank Rare tournament more than you could possibly know.

EDIT: And if we do, Andrew, I fully expect you to make a Steamflogger Boss deck.
Back to top Go down
A-Mart

A-Mart

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 5:26 pm

EDH Two-Headed Giant
EDH
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fun tournament formats?   Fun tournament formats? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fun tournament formats?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BoroNerds :: Gamer's Guild :: Card Games :: Magic: The Gathering-
Jump to: